Membership gives you access to programs and services:
Visual Arts News: A subscription to the oldest continuous visual art publication in Atlantic Canada. The magazine, distributed nationally, is published 3 times/year with features, profiles, interviews, news and reviews primarily focusing on artists and the visual arts in Nova Scotia. Membership in VANS includes a subscription to the magazine. For further information visit www.visualartsnews.ca.
Mentorship Program: The VANS Mentorship Program is designed to support the individual artistic methods and professional ambitions of emerging artists in Nova Scotia by providing access to the skills and experience of selected mentors.
PAINTS (Professional Artists in the Schools): This program enables schools throughout NS to bring professional artists working both in visual arts and fine crafts into their classrooms. For detailed information visit www.paintsns.ca
Professional Development Workshops: Professional development workshops related to your career as an artist. Topics include: Portfolios, proposals, marketing, writing for the arts, documenting your work, and community art projects.
- VANS Newsletter is a biweekly e-newsletter with information on current opportunities relevant to your art practice.
- Artist Profiles highlight our programs by featuring an active member artist participating in our programs.
- Social Media on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Members’ News is a quarterly electronic newsletter featuring members’ activities.
Resource Lending Library: In house reference materials on contracts, grants, residencies, tax law, copyright, commissions, competitions, etc.
Online resources: We provide a comprehensive resource with a focus on the business and career aspects of being an artist. Resource areas include: legal, insurance, marketing, professional development, grants and funding.
- galleries across Canada
artist run centres, cooperative, commercial and public galleries listed by province and territory.
cultural organizations, visual arts organizations and groups, post secondary art and design institutions and festivals across Nova Scotia and Canada
- helpful information
business resources, legal information, customs, copyright, insurance, marketing, advocacy, studio health and safety information
E-Studio Artist Directory: A major collection of Nova Scotia’s working visual artists online.
Artist Emergency Fund: Assists artists in financial need arising from severe illness, an accident resulting in inability to work of help with studio replacement in case of a disaster, such as fire, where there is no insurance.
Open Grant to Galleries and Groups: Any gallery or group who is a member of VANS can apply for up to $250 to assist with costs to mount an exhibition. The intention of this small grant program is to enhance exhibition activities across the province.
Peer Connections: Opportunities for artists to network through discussions, information sessions, and our Peer-to-Peer Application Review Groups.
Corridor Gallery: giving members of Visual Arts Nova Scotia an opportunity to create an exhibition of their work.
- Art Gallery of Nova Scotia member artists receive a 50% discount on their regular individual rate for membership.
- DeSerres Halifax 10% discount off of regularly priced merchandise to members with a DeSerres Creative Club membership. Present your membership receipt and sign up as a member of DeSerres’ Creative Club. With the Creative Club membership, you will not only be receiving a discount, but you’ll also be collecting points that can be redeemed on future purchases.
- Fraser & Hoyt Insurance offers a special insurance package to members, including contents coverage, studio insurance, general liability for exhibitions and fairs, and shipping/transportation. Minimum Premium: $500 annually. Contact Arin Selig.
Internships: Administrative work terms.
Advocacy: Promotion of arts awareness in government, business, schools, media, and the general public.