The VANS Mentorship Program is designed to support the individual artistic methods and professional ambitions of emerging artists in Nova Scotia by providing access to the skills and experience of selected mentors. Basing its structure on similar pioneer programs such as CARFAC Saskatchewan’s Visual Arts Mentorship Program and the Writers’ Federation of Nova Scotia’s Mentorship Program, the VANS Mentorship Program provides an exceptional opportunity for emerging artists to develop both their creative process and professional skills, thus building the foundation for a successful career in the visual arts. As a secondary outcome, the program offers established artists an opportunity to pass on their experience, resources, knowledge, and insight.
By investing intensely in a few individuals each year, VANS Mentorship Program contributes on a wider scale to the overall strength, sustainability and vibrancy of the visual arts community in Nova Scotia.
Applications for the 2016-17 Mentorship Program have closed. The next deadline for applications (for the 2017-18 program) will be July 15, 2017 at 5pm.
View the full Call for Applications: 2016-17 VANS Mentorship Program, which details program information, application requirements and eligibility.
Want to learn more about applying to the Mentorship Program? Contact the VANS Programming Coordinator.
VANS gratefully acknowledges core support of the Mentorship Program from the Craig Foundation. With additional support from the Nova Scotia Department of Communities Culture and Heritage and the Halifax Regional Municipality.
The VANS Mentorship Program’s mandate is to pair established artists with emerging artists (not necessarily young artists, but those at the beginning of their artistic careers) to take part in a ten-month long mentorship. Over the course of the program, mentors and apprentices will meet one-on-one, at least once a month, and three times as a group.
The mentors may be asked to provide support in any one or more of the following areas: proposal development for exhibition in public galleries or artist-run centres, grant writing assistance, artist statement development, documentation of work, technical advice, skills development, critiques of work, research assistance, and thematic development of work, networking, budgeting, organizational tips, and creative brainstorming.
Apprentices: Alexis Vessey, Ben Mosher, Kate Grey and Ryan Josey were selected for this year’s program. Apprentices have been individually paired with established artists and mentors: Sarah Maloney, Craig Leonard, Andrea Dorfman and Bryan Maycock for a 10-month mentorship, starting in September. Read more about this year’s participants.
- Apprentices: Claudia Legg, Alice MacLean, Sophie Paskins and Anna Taylor were selected for this year’s program. Apprentices have been individually paired with established artists and mentors: James MacSwain, Ian McKinnon, Mathew Reichertz and Becka Barker for a 10-month mentorship, beginning in September. Read more about this year’s participants.
- Apprentices: Angela Glanzmann, Kate Walchuk and Stephanie Yee were selected for this year’s program. Apprentices have been individually paired with established artists and mentors, Barbara Lounder, Eryn Foster, and Wilma Needham for a 10-month mentorship, beginning in September. Read more about this year’s participants.
- Apprentices: Andrew Maize, Annalise Prodor, and Sera Senakovicz had been selected for this year’s program. Apprentices were individually paired with established artists and mentors, Michael Fernandes, Eleanor King, and Ericka Walker for a 10-month mentorship, beginning in September. Read more about this year’s participants.
- Apprentices: Christine Waugh, Wes Johnston, and Judy Arsenault had been selected for this year’s program. Apprentices were individually paired with established artists and mentors, Steve Higgins, Ilan Sandler, and Janice Leonard for a 10-month mentorship, beginning in October. Read more about this year’s program participants.
- Apprentices: Anne Macmillan, Natalie Boterman, and William Robinson had been selected for this years program. Apprentices were individually paired with established artists and mentors, Peter Dykhuis, Ariella Pahlke and Bob Bean for a 10-month mentorship, beginning in September. Read more about this year’s program participants.
- Apprentices: Ruth Marsh, Matthew Carswell and Kyle Cunjak had been selected for this years program. Apprentices were paired with individual mentors Melinda Spooner, Cathy Busby and Adrian Fish for a 10-month mentorship. This year’s program ran October 2010 to July 2011. The group participated in the inaugural Mentorship program retreat July 8 -10, 2011 at Windhorse Farms in New Germany, NS. The program exhibition took place from August 25 – September 3, 2011 at Eyelevel Gallery in Halifax, NS. To view their collaborative artist book project, visit Blurb.com.
- Apprentices: Raina McDonald, Leslie Menagh and Chantal Tardiff have been selected . They have been paired with Dawn MacNutt, Sarah Maloney, and Ilan Sandler for a 10-month mentorship. The VANS Mentorship exhibition took place at Eyelevel Gallery from August 12-21st, 2010.
- Apprentices: Nicholas Johnson, Terry Drahos and Scott Saunders were selected and were paired and supported by their individual mentors Nancy Stevens, Susan Wood, and Craig Leonard for a 10-month mentorship. The exhibition took place at Anna Leonowens Gallery from June 2nd-6th, 2009.
- Apprentices: Bethany Riordan-Butterworth and Jesse Harrod were selected and paired with their individual mentors, Robert Zingone and Frances Dorsey for a 10-month mentorship. The group exhibition took place at Eyelevel Gallery from August 4-9th, 2008.
- For the inaugural year of VANS Mentorship Program, 3 emerging artists and 3 senior artists were selected by a Selections Committee of artists and art educators from 40 applications submitted by artists from across the province. Mentors and Apprentices worked together over a period of 8 months. This year’s Apprentices are: Kate MacLeod, photographer, Barbara Schmeisser, sculptor, and Miya Turnbull, 3D/Installation. They worked with Mentors: Rose Adams, painter, Richard Mueller, glass & installation artist, and Glynis Humphrey, installation artist.