Membership gives you access to programs and services:
Visual Arts News: The magazine, distributed nationally, is published 3 times/year with features, profiles, interviews, news and reviews primarily focusing on artists and the visual arts in Nova Scotia. Membership in VANS includes a subscription to the magazine.
Mentorship Program: The VANS Mentorship Program is designed to support the individual artistic methods and professional ambitions of emerging artists in Nova Scotia by providing access to the skills and experience of selected mentors.
PAINTS (Professional Artists in the Schools): This program enables schools throughout NS to bring professional artists working both in visual arts and fine crafts into their classrooms.
Professional Development Workshops: Professional development workshops related to your career as an artist. Topics include: Portfolios, proposals, marketing, writing for the arts, documenting your work, and community art projects.
- VANS Newsletter information updated bi-weekly on current opportunities relevant to your art practice, which also acts as a promotion tool for the organization.
- Artist Profiles Highlights our programs by featuring an active member artist participating in our programs.
- Social Media on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram.
- Members’ News A quarterly electronic newsletter featuring members’ activities.
E-Studio Artist Directory: A major collection of Nova Scotia’s working visual artists online.
Artist Emergency Fund: Assists artists in financial need arising from severe illness, an accident resulting in inability to work of help with studio replacement in case of a disaster, such as fire, where there is no insurance.
Open Grant to Galleries and Groups: Any gallery or group who is a member of VANS can apply for up to $250 to assist with costs to mount an exhibition. The intention of this small grant program is to enhance exhibition activities across the province.
Peer Connections: Opportunities for artists to network through discussions, information sessions, and our Peer-to-Peer Application Review Groups.
Corridor Gallery: giving members of Visual Arts Nova Scotia an opportunity to create an exhibition of their work.
- Art Gallery of Nova Scotia member artists receive a 50% discount on their regular individual rate for membership.
- Deserres Halifax 10% discount off of regularly priced merchandise to members with a Deserres Creative Club membership. Present your membership receipt and sign up as a member of Deserres’ Creative Club. With the Creative Club membership, you will not only be receiving a discount, but you’ll also be collecting points that can be redeemed on future purchases.
- Fraser & Hoyt Insurance offers a special insurance package to members, including contents coverage, studio insurance, general liability for exhibitions and fairs, and shipping/transportation. Minimum Premium: $500 annually. Contact Arin Selig.
- Total Museum and Fine Art Services Inc 10% discount off of all quoted prices including but not limited to: Shipping, Soft-packaging, Crating, Crate rental, Short and long-term storage; Free short-term storage of consigned items to meet shuttling schedules.
Internships: Administrative work terms for art college students.
Advocacy: Promotion of arts awareness in government, business, schools, media, and the general public.