Click to enlarge thumbnail images.
‘I am a landscape and abstract painter who works in acrylic, watercolour and mixed media. My art work is about the force of nature, the fragility of life and the connection of all things. After applying many layers of paint in an unconscious manner, the next step is to find meaning in what I see. I usually try to evoke a particular feeling or a certain mood I have experienced in my local surroundings, places I have visited in the past or, subjects that have special meaning to me – this includes my Acadian heritage. All my abstracts are created that way. My landscapes, on the other hand, are carefully planned to evoke a mood or a particular feeling about a place. Two themes that run through all my works are: optimism and tranquility’.
Paulette Melanson grew up in Scoudouc, a small Acadian village in the province of New Brunswick and has been living in Halifax since 1985. She has been drawing and painting ever since she can remember. Her art education includes: continuing education courses at the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design in Halifax, Nova Scotia as well as workshops and painting studio sessions from the following artists whom she has great respect for: Brian Atyeo, Leya Evelyn, David Walker, Linda Kempt, Jean Pederson, Robert Burridge, Mike Svob, Harold Klunder, Wayne Boucher and Barbara McLean. Other formal education includes: a Bachelor of Science from the Université de Moncton, New Brunswick; a Bachelor of Education from the University of New Bruswick and; a Master’s Degree in Adult Education from Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia. In 2011 Paulette decided to get involved in her art practice full time after an unrelated career in the public sector. She has a studio in Boutilier’s Point, located on St Margaret’s Bay.
- Visual Voice Fine Art, 128 King St, Truro, NS, http://www.visual-voice.ca/fineart/, (abstracts and landscapes).
- Going Coastal Art Gallery, 41 Queen St, Chester, NS, https://www.facebook.com/GoingCoastalFineArtandFurnishings, (landscapes).
- Teichert Gallery, 1723 Hollis St, Halifax, NS, artgalleryofnovascotia.ca/shop-rent/teichert-gallery, (abstracts).
- Crouchers Point Art Gallery, 5 Crouchers Point Rd, Glen Haven, NS, http://www.crouchersptgallery.com/, (landscapes).
- Art Zone Art Gallery, 1673 Barrington St, Halifax, NS, http://www.artzoneweb.com/, (landscapes and abstracts).
- Argyle Fine Art, Pre-Shrunk Show, 1559 Barrington St, Halifax, NS, http://argylefineart.blogspot.ca/, (mini landscapes).
- The Fireside Restaurant, 1551 Birmingham St, Halifax, NS, https://thefireside.ca/, (abstracts – on-going solo show).
- Artist’s Studio by appointment (902) 483-3582, email@example.com, http://www.paulettemelansonartist.com/ (landscapes & abstracts).